Monday, September 16, 2013

Sigum Clocks

After the longest school week ever -which included the Friday night football game, our youngest daughter and I had made plans with another t1d family to meet up at the ADA Walk to Cure Diabetes on Saturday.  (Oldest daughter had a pre-planned birthday party and our Naturally Sweet Dad offered to be the carpool parent as needed.)

With just youngest daughter and myself attending, I was looking forward to a little ladies day out.  The only worry that I had was that both youngest daughter and myself had been running so much during  the week that I was afraid that I would sleep in and miss the early wake-up.  Our walk is over an hour away and we needed to be there by 8:00 a.m. for registration.  Plus the ADA walk is HUGE and meeting people can be a real challenge.  The last thing I wanted to do was to be late!

With the concern for promptness, I checked the alarm a few times before falling asleep and finally, sweet rest....


I sat up in bed and glanced towards the window.  Still dark but no worry, I was just grateful for having woken on time and not oversleeping.  I quickly dressed, careful not to wake my husband and headed over to youngest daughter's room.

Sleeping soundly, I gave her a few kisses and finally had to ask her to sit up.  She did and while she struggled to wake, I tested her blood sugar and entered the number into her pump and Sigum (CGMs).   As she dressed, I walked into her sister's bedroom to check her blood sugar.


67 mg/dl

I promptly walked down the hall to retrieve a bottle of juice and asked oldest daughter to drink it.  She did quickly and was soon back to sleep.  Youngest daughter waited patiently in the doorway for me to finish and then, holding hands, we descended down the stairs to the kitchen to finish getting ready to leave.

"Put your shoes on honey.  We will just eat in the car on the way."  I said as I walked into our office to pick up my cell phone.   

I walked back to the kitchen and suddenly thought I should check the cell battery to make sure that I didn't need to charge it in the car.  The charge was full but something else caught my eye.

"3:45 a.m."

Now, I don't know about your walks, but none of ours start at 4:00 a.m..  It suddenly occurred to me that what I thought had been the alarm clock, was actually oldest daughter's CGM warning.

Yes.  That's right.  I even woke up our youngest daughter to get her dressed and out the door.

Yes.  Really.

We ended up both going back to bed.  And both of us went back to bed wearing our clothes for the next the day.  In the end, we still made it to the 8:00 a.m. walk on time and met our friends with a funny story to share.

But the sad part?  I am still tired.  So if you see me out and I don't look like I should, maybe just ask me to check the time!

No comments: